Coordinating the Piece

 Coordinating the Piece


To keep things on-track, I'd like to set out a few of the fundamentals for my piece from the get-go. This will help me in deciding my work order as time goes on and will generally just keep things more organized.

Focuses

It's key that I outline my main focuses for the piece to give it a solid structure. I may format the video in a chapter-like way to tick all these boxes individually, though a blended approach might suit it better.

  1. Cinematography
    I want to cover this very early on, because it's the feature of the film that enables everything else to be at such a high level. It was one of the first things that caught my eye when I first watched the movie so many years ago.

    I'll touch on the equipment that was used in the making of the film, its style when compared with the industry standard (what makes it different / sets it apart), and how the cinematography influences every other aspect of the film.
     
  2.  Sound Design
    With particular reference to the music, the sound design of Into the Wild is incredibly well put-together. The mixture of inobtrusive music (Eddie Vedder to thank for that) and fantastic foley, altogether patched by the sounds of the wild world, creates such an extraordinary example of immersion and engagement through sound.

  3. Philosophy
    There is a very real philosophy present in Into the Wild. To give up your Harvard-bound college education, money, new cars and comfort for a life adventuring in the outdoors raises a lot of questions. The natural value of materialistic wealth, the effects of Capitalism on the soul, the depths at which our relationship with our parents affects us, the American Dream and personal legacy, the role of parents in the personal development of their children - there's a lot to unpack in this film.

    While I won't be able to develop each and every point I'd like to, I can focus on the questions that affect both Christopher and the story the most - parents, wealth (and the lack of it), and your place in the world.

Visual Media

For the visual media elements of the video, I will be extracting scenes from the movie itself and piecing them together in a way that correlates with the script I'll be writing. The visual media will be used both as a way to match and reinforce my points, as well as to add flavour and visual engagement. There are some very aesthetically eye-grabbing scenes that I'd love to showcase.

Audio Media

For the audio segments of the video, I'll be downloading tracks from Youtube or Soundcloud and using segments of them. I will also have sounds from the movie itself playing from the visual clips I extract. 

Run-Time

While I won't know for sure how long the piece will be exactly until it's in the editing process, I will not allow it to go over 10 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Into the Wild - Video Essay Analysis

Aims and Objectives