Aims and Objectives

 

Through the creation of this video-essay, I aim to research the film’s source material and all its accompanying media (philosophers’ writings, the poetry, the books and locations) in order to fully understand and appreciate the film.  

Not only that, but I aim to share what I find in a way that’s accessible, persuasive and, ultimately, enjoyable to engage with and consume. I appreciate the film and the work put into it greatly, and it is that appreciation that I would like to share. 

I aim to explore both the good and the bad in reference to the ramifications of a lifestyle under transcendentalism and the writings of both Thoreau and Emerson. I will use these two men and their influence on the protagonist, providing my video essay with both in-film references as well as outside context 

The insightful design when transitioning between the spaces created by the film’s soundscape, and how these changes impact you emotionally when linked with the visuals, is something I aim to highlight. I will attempt to use these features as a means of signifying the artistic value of the film. 

My main objective for this video essay is twofold: that viewers come to enjoy the masterpiece that is Into the Wild, and that they come away with a better understanding and appreciation for life and energies all around them. There is a balance that can be found between life as we know it and the life envisioned by the philosophers behind McCandless’ decisions, and I aim to bring that middle ground to light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Into the Wild - Video Essay Analysis